Real Estate
17 August, 2026
Cemetery space an issue in Goulburn
Goulburn-Mulwaree Council will consider a Notice of Motion from Cr Daniel Strickland at its meeting on Tuesday night (August 18) asking for a report on the current operational status of both the Goulburn General Cemetery and St Patrick’s General Cemetery and the estimated remaining lifespan of both cemeteries.

Goulburn could be at serious risk of running out of cemetery space.
Goulburn-Mulwaree Council will consider a Notice of Motion from Cr Daniel Strickland at its meeting on Tuesday night (August 18) asking for a report on the current operational status of both the Goulburn General Cemetery and St Patrick’s General Cemetery and the estimated remaining lifespan of both cemeteries.
Cr Strickland also wants the report to consider the status of council’s long-term planning for future cemetery provision.
He says as the community continues to grow, it is important that council maintains an understanding of the remaining burial capacity within the LGA’s existing cemeteries “and ensures appropriate long-term planning is underway to meet future community needs”.
That planning should commence sooner rather than later according to local funeral director, John Crooks, from RJ Sidney Craig.
Mr Crooks addressed council’s public forum on Tuesday night and said the Goulburn General Cemetery was at near capacity.
“From my experience I don’t think you have got a lot of spots left,” he said.
Mr Crooks – who has been in the industry for more than 40 years – said he advised council 15 years ago that it would run out of space at the Goulburn General Cemetery within 15 or 16 years.
He believes there is a few years’ burial capacity left at St Parick’s but said planning for a new cemetery site should commence as a priority.
Mr Crooks said 35 per cent of people were still choosing burial over cremation so council needed a clear understanding of the remaining capacity at both cemeteries in the short-term as planning gets underway for a new site.
Deputy mayor Caitlin Flint expressed concern that it could take years to finalise a new cemetery site and asked Mr Crooks exactly how long he had been engaging with council on the issue.
Mr Crooks said he had been in “open dialogue” with council on the capacity issue for the past 15 years.
Tuesday night’s meeting will commence at 6pm at the Council Chambers in Goulburn.
Members of the public are welcome to attend the meeting in person or to watch the livestream available via council’s website at www.goulburn.nsw.gov.au
--------------
Subscribe to The Southern Wire Newsletter for free at the link below.
https://subscribe-forms.beehiiv.com/1986abc6-c89e-4781-9db2-cf35c9dd71e4
If you value independent local journalism across the Highlands, Tablelands and Wollondilly, please click the link below to support us to ensure we remain paywall free.
Read More: Goulburn, Southern Tablelands