Advertisement

News

18 May, 2026

Alleged racism added to list of concerns

Alleged racism can now be added to the list of unchecked behaviours in the senior management team at Wingecarribee Shire Council.

By Stuart Carless

Wingecarribee Shire Council. Supplied.
Wingecarribee Shire Council. Supplied.
Advertisement

Alleged racism can now be added to the list of unchecked behaviours in the senior management team at Wingecarribee Shire Council.

As previously reported by The Southern Wire, a former WSC employee has sensationally claimed that his concerns over workplace bullying and harassment were ignored by senior staff.

Former floodplain engineer Sha Prodhan resigned from council after 14 years claiming he had been harassed by a member of council’s management team.

He told The Southern Wire the harassment continued even after he made a complaint to his director and to council’s general manager, Lisa Miscamble.

Council failed to respond to The Southern Wire’s request for a response on the issue.

Ironically – despite failing to respond to The Southern Wire’s request for comment – council has pursued one of the former staff members mentioned in the article and has accused him of disparaging council.

Former WSC traffic engineer Emraul Kayes, 69, was forced to resign from council after being placed on a Performance Improvement Order.

He claims that he was treated less favourably than colleagues due to his ethnic and cultural background.

“These incidents include remarks and managerial decisions that reflected bias and contributed to a hostile and discriminatory working environment,” he said in a letter to council’s general manager dated November 4, 2025.

Mr Kayes told The Southern Wire that his request for an independent review into the allegations was never acted upon.

He also said council’s general manager only worked a few metres away from his desk at the Moss Vale Civic Centre but never took the time to speak to him personally about the allegations against him or his allegations against council.

Yet it took little time for Ms Miscamble to write to Mr Kayes in Sydney citing her “urgent concern” over Mr Kayes’ ongoing obligations to WSC following The Southern Wire’s initial article on the bullying and discrimination issue.

The initial article was published on November 24.

Ms Miscamble’s letter was sent just a few days later and cited “serious concerns” over Mr Kayes’ obligations under a Deed of Agreement which he felt forced to sign.

She said council might take a range of options including seeking damages.

Just as significantly Mr Kayes said he never resigned from his position voluntarily but was “coerced” into leaving against his will.

He claims he was subject to “undue pressure and coercion” and that he had signed a Deed of Release (from employment at WSC) under duress to avoid formal termination.

He says his departure from WSC constituted “constructive dismissal” as his working environment and the actions of management “effectively forced my resignation”.

Mr Kayes says the outcome contravened the principles of procedural fairness as well as protections afforded under the Fair Work Act.

He says the PIP was a formality and that his manager had “already formed the view that my employment should be terminated”.

Advertisement

Mr Prodhan and Mr Kayes have both alleged they were bullied by the same manager and that senior management failed to act.

Mr Kayes also alleges that his former manager prevented him from being given a proper farewell despite the express wishes of colleagues.

“He not only prevented the farewell but also did not approach me directly to offer any words of acknowledgment or parting,” Mr Kayes said.

Since The Southern Wire’s original story another employee has also come forward.

Hemanth Reju said he had resigned from council because the workplace environment had become “unhealthy”.

Mathias De Souza said he and his wife worked in the same team and both left due to behaviour “inconsistent with council’s Code of Conduct”.

He said senior staff had failed to protect staff.

“A real shame given there are many good people in that organisation that are trying to do the right thing and instead are rewarded with unfair treatment.”

Social media users have described the allegations as “appalling” and have suggested the (now) vacant positions have been filled by consultants.

One ‘trauma-informed’ reader acknowledged Mr Kayes’ courage as a WSC whistleblower.

“What you did truly mattered - and it took real integrity and ethics,” she said.

Mr Kayes wrote to Mayor Jesse Fitzpatrick saying that his experience at council was in contrast to council’s stated commitment to dignity, respect and inclusion.

“Trust and fairness are the foundations of a high-performing organisation and these values are currently at risk,” he said.

In a further bombshell, United Services Union regional organiser Rudi Oppitz told The Southern Wire the allegations were an “accurate reflection” of what has been occurring – and continues to occur – at council.

--------------

The Southern Wire Newsletter is now here! Subscribe for free at the link below.

https://subscribe-forms.beehiiv.com/1986abc6-c89e-4781-9db2-cf35c9dd71e4

If you value independent local journalism across the Highlands, Tablelands and Wollondilly, please click the link below to support us as we are paywall free.

https://thesouthernwire.presspatron.com

Advertisement

Latest Articles

Advertisement

Most Popular

Advertisement