Council
22 February, 2026
It won’t happen again: Council moves to reassure community
A former Goulburn-Mulwaree Council employee allegedly stole more than $700,000 of ratepayers’ money over a four-year period between 2012 and 2016 – but the council was unaware that anything was amiss until being contacted by police eight years later.

A former Goulburn-Mulwaree Council employee allegedly stole more than $700,000 of ratepayers’ money over a four-year period between 2012 and 2016 – but the council was unaware that anything was amiss until being contacted by police eight years later.
As reported by The Southern Wire late last month, 59-year-old Martin Thomas Dimec of Bowral has been accused of defrauding ratepayers across three local government of almost $1.3 million.
The offences relate to allegedly fraudulent activities during his time at Goulburn-Mulwaree, Shoalhaven and Murrimbidgee councils.
He was allegedly sacked from his position as Director of Infrastructure at Murrimbidgee because of concerns over fraud.
The matter remains before the courts, and Dimec is on strict bail conditions.
Goulburn-Mulwaree Council has moved to reassure ratepayers that systems are in place to prevent the same thing from happening again.
Council’s general manager Scott Gallacher has issued a statement sharing his “concerns, questions and outrage”.
“This is a fundamental breach of trust, not just an employee and their employer, but most crucially, with the community,” he said.
“The community that we serve, each and every day.”
Mr Dimec worked as a Design Engineer with council from 2009 to 2015 and as Construction Superintendent from 2015 to 2106.
Thirty-four of the fraud charges he is now facing relate to his time at Goulburn-Mulwaree – specifically between August 2012 and June 2016.
He is also facing a corruption charge relating to his time at all three councils.
Mr Gallacher said council first became aware of the alleged fraud after being contacted by police in February 2024 – almost eight years later.
He has now moved to reassure residents that systems are in place to prevent the same level of alleged fraud from happening again.
“Since joining the council in September 2025, everything I have seen in terms of the financial systems, reporting and purchasing controls (at council) has given me assurance and confidence over the credibility, integrity and professionalism of our staff.
“But matters like this do highlight the need for us to have ongoing vigilance.
“I have therefore commissioned an independent audit of the council to provide not just myself, but you (councillors) and, ultimately, our ratepayers and community as much confidence and assurance as is possible over the robustness and security of our financial systems, controls and reporting.”
Mr Gallacher said the audit would provide an “independent set of eyes looking at our systems and controls and identifying any areas for improvement and strengthening when it comes to the effectiveness of, and management of fraud controls at the council”.
Mr Gallacher said he would report back to council – and the community – once the audit had been concluded.
He also thanked NSW Police “for everything they have done so far on this matter”.
“We stand ready to continue to deliver the police as much support as possible over the coming times to ensure we have a successful outcome in the proceedings that are now before the court”.
Dimec, 59, is facing 41 counts of dishonestly obtain financial advantage by deception and one count of holder of public office misconduct him or herself.
He was arrested at Parramatta Police Station on January 28 and faced Parramatta Local Court the following day.
He was released on strict conditions, including that he surrender his passport and report to the Southern Highlands Police Station in Moss Vale three times a week.
He was also ordered to reside at the same Bowral address and remain of good behaviour with no fresh offending.
Mr Dimec’s case returned to Parramatta Local Court on Thursday (February 19) where bail was continued.
Mr Dimec’s alleged offending relates to three councils – Goulburn-Mulwaree, Shoalhaven and Murrimbidgee – over a period of approximately 12 years between 2012 and 2024.
During that time Mr Dimec allegedly authorised and approved fraudulent invoices totalling $1,295,029.04 and had the money deposited into accounts directly under his control.
The Financial Crimes Squad Fraud Unit established Strike Force Mullagh in May 2024 to investigate his alleged offending.
Mr Dimec worked for Murrimbidgee Shire Council between 2021 and 2024 as its Director of Infrastructure.
He was allegedly fired from his position in February 2024 because of concerns over fraud, prompting the police investigation.
He worked at Shoalhaven City Council between 2016 and 2020 where some of the offences were also allegedly committed.
His roles at Shoalhaven included Asset Manager and Technical Servies Manager.
Mr Dimec was employed by Goulburn-Mulwaree Council between 2009 and 2015 as a Design Engineer and from 2015 to 2016 as Construction Superintendent.
-----------------------------------------------------
If you have any information, please email Stuart at sc@thesouthernwire.com.au
Read More: Goulburn, Southern Tablelands